What is a Tenants in Common (TIC) Investment?
Tenants in common (TIC) is an arrangement where two or more people share ownership rights in a property or parcel of land. The property may be commercial or residential. When a tenant in common dies, the property passes to that tenant’s estate. Each independent owner may control an equal or different percentage of the total property. Also, the tenants in common partner has the right to leave their share of the property to any beneficiary as a portion of their estate. Contract terms for tenants in common are detailed in the deed, title, or other legally binding property ownership documents.
How TIC Works
When two or more people own property as tenants in common, all areas of the property are owned equally by the group. The co-tenants may have a different share of ownership interests. For example, Person A and Person B may each own 25% of a property, while Person C owns 50%. While the percentage owned varies, no individual may claim ownership to any specific part of the property.
Tenants in common agreements may be created at any time. So, an individual may develop an interest in a property years after the other members have entered into a tenants-in-common agreement. Returning to the example above, we could say that Person A and Person C originally each owned 50% of the property. At some point, Person A decided to split her 50% portion with Person B leaving the group with a 25/25/50 split.
Further, the members of the agreement may independently sell or borrow against their portion of ownership.
Tenants in Common (TIC) Investments Under Investigation By Galvin Legal, PLLC
- NNN Siena Office Park I TIC – Investor Alert
- Geneva Multi-Family Exchange X TIC – Investor Alert
- Geneva Office Exchange V TIC – Investor Alert
- Geneva Industrial Exchange XXX TIC – Investor Alert
- PASSCO Warminster Business Center S TIC – Investor Alert
- PASSCO Resort at Lake Crossing S TIC – Investor Alert
- PASSCO Reserve at River Park S TIC – Investor Alert
- PASSCO Pinnacle S TIC – Investor Alert
- PASSCO Madison S TIC – Investor Alert
- PASSCO Laveen Village S TIC – Investor Alert
- PASSCO Lionsgate S TIC – Investor Alert
- PASSCO Creekwalk S TIC – Investor Alert
- SRS Old Norcross TIC – Investor Alert
- SRS Arlington Office TIC – Investor Alert
- SRS Towne Lake TIC – Investor Alert
- RK Properties TIC – Investor Alert
- REVA River Plaza TIC – Investor Alert
- REVA PBS Wesley TIC – Investor Alert
- REVA Caldwell TIC – Investor Alert
- REVA Fairview TIC – Investor Alert